What I love most about raising my children in New York City is that there is always something fun to do with them! I’ve gotten a few emails and DM’s from moms planning to visit this summer so I put together this major bucket list of 54 free things to do in NYC with kids this summer. I broke down this list by things that are always free and those that are free only certain days or dates. Be sure to share this post with any of your friends or family members who will find it useful for summer planning.
- Shakephere in the Park. Sign up here for the free ticket lottery.
- Bryant Park also has over 50 free board games that are available until 8pm. We love playing with our kids there and their bathrooms are the cleanest public bathrooms in the city.
- FDNY Fire Zone
- National Museum of the American Indian
- Riverbank State Park.
- Ride the Staten Island Ferry.
- Brooklyn Museum (pay as you wish)
- Museum at the Fashion Institute of Technology
- The brand new Domino Park. Cool playground, splash pad, volleyball courts, picnic area and view of the city.
- Brooklyn Bridge Park
- Gantry State Park
- Coney Island Beach/Boardwalk accessible by subway.
- Governors Island
- Times Square
- Highland Park
- Central Park
- Kayaking at Brooklyn Bridge Park Boathouse Pier 1 and Pier 2.
- Hudson River Park
- Rockaway Beach (accessible by A train).
- Jones Beach (accessible by LIRR and Long Island bus).
- Walk across the Brooklyn Bridge.
- South Street Seaport
- Flushing Meadows Park
- Juniper Valley Park
- City Island
- Battery City Park
- Fort Tryon Park
- Cunningham Park
Activities that are free only certain days, dates and times.
29. Bryant Park Free Movie Night.
30. Workshops at Lego Flagship Store
31. The Bronx Zoo (pay as you wish)
32. Prospect Park: A Summer Movie Under the Stars
34. Atlas Park: Movies on the Green (get dates here)
35. Brooklyn Children’s Museum 2-6pm (Pay as you wish)
36. Brooklyn Bridge Park: Movies with a view
37. Outer Space Outdoor Movies: Albee Square, Brooklyn
38. Summer in the Square: Union Square Park – Stories and performances for children.
39. Children’s Museum of the Arts (pay as you wish) 4-6pm. My kids LOVE it there.
40. Brooklyn Botanical Gardens (free before noon)
41. Manhattan Children’s Museum (First Friday evenings of the month are FREE)
42. Museum of Modern Art MoMA (Friday evenings are FREE)
43. The New-York Historical Society 6-8 pm on Fridays (pay as you wish)
44. Museum of the Moving Image, 4:00pm – 8:00pm
46. Le Carrousel Story Time at Bryant Park 2:00pm
47. Guggenheim Museum (Pay as you wish 5–7:45 pm)
48. July 14th – City of Water Day at South Street Seaport
49. July 21st – Come Out & Play Family Day
50. July 28th – Lincoln Center Out of Doors Family Day
51. September 1st – Kiddies Carnival Brooklyn
52. First three Saturdays in August Summer Streets
54. Zipline at Alley Pond Park. Register here.
edited to add:
55. Sugar Hill Children’s Museum FREE every third Sunday of the month.
Enjoy your summer and don’t forget to SHARE, SHARE, SHARE!